The 2019 Grammy nominees have been unveiled, and as always, there are plenty of surprises in the Big 4 categories and more than a few tight races that should prove almost impossible to call.
On Friday's (Dec. 7) CBS This Morning, 2018 best new artist winner Alessia Cara, Apple Music host Zane Lowe, Janelle Monae and Shawn Mendes announced select categories, with the full list being revealed shortly thereafter on Grammy.com. The announcement was pushed back from Dec. 5 due to President George H.W. Bush's funeral.
The two most-nominated people at the 61st annual Grammy Awards are both hip-hop. Kendrick Lamar leads with eight noms, and Drake follows with seven. Producer Boi-1da and Brandi Carlile earned six apiece, making Carlile the most nominated woman at the 2019 Grammys. Cardi B, Childish Gambino, H.E.R., Lady Gaga, Maren Morris, producer Sounwave and mastering engineer Mike Bozzi follow with five nods.
Below is the complete 61st Grammy nominations list for recordings released during the eligibility year (Oct. 1, 2017-Sept. 30, 2018). The 61 Grammy Awards air Feb. 10 on CBS, broadcast live from the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
General Field Category 1 - Record Of The Year (Award to the Artist and to the Producer(s), Recording Engineer(s) and/or Mixer(s) and mastering engineer(s), if other than the artist.)
• "I Like It" Cardi B, Bad Bunny & J Balvin Invincible, JWhiteDidIt, Craig Kallman & Tainy, producers; Leslie Brathwaite & Evan LaRay, engineers/mixers; Colin Leonard, mastering engineer Track from: Invasion Of Privacy
• "The Joke" Brandi Carlile Dave Cobb & Shooter Jennings, producers; Tom Elmhirst & Eddie Spear, engineers/mixers; Pete Lyman, mastering engineer Track from: By The Way, I Forgive You
• "This Is America" Childish Gambino Donald Glover & Ludwig Goransson, producers; Derek “MixedByAli” Ali & Riley Mackin, engineers/mixers; Mike Bozzi, mastering engineer
• "Shallow" Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper Lady Gaga & Benjamin Rice, producers; Tom Elmhirst, engineer/mixer; Randy Merrill, mastering engineer
• "All The Stars" Kendrick Lamar & SZA Al Shux & Sounwave, producers; Sam Ricci & Matt Schaeffer, engineers/mixers; Mike Bozzi, mastering engineer Track from: Black Panther The Album Music From And Inspired By
• "Rockstar" Post Malone Featuring 21 Savage Louis Bell & Tank God, producers; Louis Bell & Manny Marroquin, engineers/mixers; Mike Bozzi, mastering engineer
• "The Middle" Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey Grey, Monsters & Strangerz & Zedd, producers; Grey, Tom Morris, Ryan Shanahan & Zedd, engineers/mixers; Mike Marsh, mastering engineer
General Field Category 2 - Album Of The Year (Award to Artist(s) and to Featured Artist(s), Songwriter(s) of new material, Producer(s), Recording Engineer(s), Mixer(s) and Mastering Engineer(s) credited with at least 33% playing time of the album, if other than Artist.)
• Invasion Of Privacy Cardi B Leslie Brathwaite & Evan LaRay, engineers/mixers; Belcalis Almanzar & Jorden Thorpe, songwriters; Colin Leonard, mastering engineer
• By The Way, I Forgive You Brandi Carlile Dave Cobb & Shooter Jennings, producers; Dave Cobb & Eddie Spear, engineers/mixers; Brandi Carlile, Phil Hanseroth & Tim Hanseroth, songwriters; Pete Lyman, mastering engineer
• H.E.R. H.E.R. Darhyl “Hey DJ” Camper Jr, H.E.R. & Jeff Robinson, producers; Miki Tsutsumi, engineer/mixer; Darhyl Camper Jr & H.E.R., songwriters; Dave Kutch, mastering engineer
• Beerbongs & Bentleys Post Malone Louis Bell & Post Malone, producers; Louis Bell & Manny Marroquin, engineers/mixers; Louis Bell & Austin Post, songwriters; Mike Bozzi, mastering engineer
• Dirty Computer Janelle Monáe Chuck Lightning & Janelle Monáe Robinson & Nate "Rocket" Wonder, producers; Mick Guzauski, Janelle Monáe Robinson & Nate "Rocket" Wonder, engineers/mixers; Nathaniel Irvin III, Charles Joseph II, Taylor Parks & Janelle Monáe Robinson, songwriters; Dave Kutch, mastering engineer
• Golden Hour Kacey Musgraves Ian Fitchuk, Kacey Musgraves & Daniel Tashian, producers; Craig Alvin & Shawn Everett, engineers/mixers; Ian Fitchuk, Kacey Musgraves & Daniel Tashian, songwriters; Greg Calbi & Steve Fallone, mastering engineers
• Black Panther: The Album, Music From And Inspired By (Various Artists) Kendrick Lamar, featured artist; Kendrick Duckworth & Sounwave, producers; Matt Schaeffer, engineer/mixer; Kendrick Duckworth & Mark Spears, songwriters; Mike Bozzi, mastering engineer
General Field Category 3 - Song Of The Year (A Songwriter(s) Award. A song is eligible if it was first released or if it first achieved prominence during the Eligibility Year. (Artist names appear in parentheses.) Singles or Tracks only.)
• "All The Stars" Kendrick Duckworth, Solána Rowe, Al Shuckburgh, Mark Spears & Anthony Tiffith, songwriters (Kendrick Lamar & SZA) Track from: Black Panther The Album Music From And Inspired By
• "Boo'd Up" Larrance Dopson, Joelle James, Ella Mai & Dijon McFarlane, songwriters (Ella Mai) Track from: Ready
• "God's Plan" Aubrey Graham, Daveon Jackson, Brock Korsan, Ron LaTour, Matthew Samuels & Noah Shebib, songwriters (Drake)
• "In My Blood" Teddy Geiger, Scott Harris, Shawn Mendes & Geoffrey Warburton, songwriters (Shawn Mendes) Track from: Shawn Mendes
• "The Joke" Brandi Carlile, Dave Cobb, Phil Hanseroth & Tim Hanseroth, songwriters (Brandi Carlile) Track from: By The Way, I Forgive You
• "The Middle" Sarah Aarons, Jordan K. Johnson, Stefan Johnson, Marcus Lomax, Kyle Trewartha, Michael Trewartha & Anton Zaslavski, songwriters (Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey)
• "Shallow" Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando & Andrew Wyatt, songwriters (Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper)
• "This Is America" Donald Glover & Ludwig Goransson, songwriters (Childish Gambino)
General Field Category 4 - Best New Artist (An artist will be considered for Best New Artist if their eligibility year release/s achieved a breakthrough into the public consciousness and notably impacted the musical landscape.)
Shocking snubs OMG! Some artists clearly deserved more nominations. The new jury panel for the committee has possibly changed.
Taylor Swift didn’t get a nomination for “Album of the Year”! Wtf! this is crazy’ Sales and a highest selling tour, clearly don’t matter to the judging panel. Only one nomination! and why didn’t “Delicate”, get a nomination!
Is this the reason why Taylor is rush releasing a new album soon.
Devastating snub, because she missed out on nomination, which means that she misses out on possibly becoming the first female solo artist to win“Album of the Year”, three times at Grammys. At least she will always be the first female artist to win “Album” twice at Grammys. Adele is the 2nd female solo artist, however Taylor is the first and no one can take that from her
Camila Cabello! received nominations! First time nominee! Extremely happy for her for “Camila” and “Havana” live version, wtf why not the album version of the song?
New artists! from Albania 🇦🇱 Dua Lipa! and Bebe Rexba, get nominations! woo hoo!
Golden Globe 2019! nominee Lady Gaga! who just found out yesterday that she received two Golden Globe, now she has even more good news, that she received multiple Grammy nominations. Her career is skyrocketing and reached a whole new level. She is on track to possibly win more Grammys, and defintely will win a Globe. Lady Gaga is also in the running to win an Oscar! Omg! I’m so happy for her, she can sing and act really well too. Last edited:
While sales and a big tour can result in an Album of the Year nomination (see Drake's Scorpion), it still needs to have enough people liking it and it seemed like the general consensus for Reputation was a lot lower than 1989. Plus I think TS fans should be lucky she somehow beat To Pimp a Butterfly back in 2016.